Love salads, but tired of getting the pre-made salads from the grocery story? Then you will love this salad which you can change up any time and still have an amazing salad. You can make the ingredients ahead of time and have them ready on hand for a kick and hardy meal for the entire family. Get the family involved. I am sure many of the ingredients will be gobbled up during the prep time. Remember fresh is best! Use ingredients you have on hand.
- Lettuce of choice from romaine, to garden mix, spinach… If prewashed, please rinse and spin
- Cooked chicken breast seasoned to taste and cubed. Cool.
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and cubed
- ½ onion of choice, sliced and cubed
- ¼ English or garden cucumber
- ½ Mango or pineapple
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes, halved.
- Can add ½ cup toasted slivered almonds or sunflower seeds
Homemade LL Dressing: Stores well in fridge for up to 1 week in a pint or quart mason jar with lid. Only use what you need with your salad and shake up before serving. You will want to use the extra at another time or take to work. No preservatives.
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup of honey (may add more to taste if desired)
- 3 Tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp of fresh chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- ¼ tsp of pepper
The beauty is that you can made the salad for 1 or 20, just scale ingredients to meet the size of the crowd you are serving. Shake the dressing and drizzle over your salad ingredients, mix and serve. You will be getting the benefits of meeting fruit and fibre needs, along with satisfying your taste buds. Delicious as a meal or as a nutritious side. Enjoy!
Brenda Pearce RN is the creater of Lighter Living With Brenda. You can learn more about local resources by visiting http://tinyurl.com/lighterliving